[Xymon] Version 5 with IPv6 - anyone for testing? And some news ...

Lennon, Padraig Padraig.Lennon at pioneerinvestments.com
Tue Jul 30 09:07:18 CEST 2013

Best of luck in your new role Henrik

regards
Padraig Lennon

-----Original Message-----
From: Xymon [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Henrik Størner
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:18 AM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: [Xymon] Version 5 with IPv6 - anyone for testing? And some news ...

On 24-07-2013 08:07, Christian Herzog wrote:
>> On 22-07-2013 08:53, Christian Herzog wrote:
>>> - do you have any indication when v5 will be ready for prime time
>>
>> Barring unforeseen events, I think there will be a version ready for
>> testing mid-september. It will probably require some shakedown,
>> since there is a lot of new code, but a release during the autumn
>> should be possible.

> thanks a lot for this encouraging update. We'll stand by with our test setup,
> ready to get our hands dirty.

Okay .... if you really want to get dirty, then I have some code waiting
for all of you to test. Head over to http://www.xymon.com/misc/ and grab
the 4.3.99.<date> tar-file.

(Or grab the latest trunk from Sourceforge's SVN archive).

NOTE: I strongly recommend that you run this in a test setup - or at
least be prepared to break your current installation. At least, backup
your xymon installation directory and the *.chk files in the server/tmp/
directory.

Building it should be well-known, except that you need two more
libraries: The new network test module uses an SQLite3 database
internally, and xymond now needs the "zlib" library - so those must be
installed, including any "developer" packages.

On Debian, I have the libsqlite3-0:amd64, libsqlite3-dev:amd64 and
sqlite3 packages for SQLite3; and the zlib1g:amd64 and zlib1g-dev:amd64
packages for zlib.

make - make install

Make sure that the xymond/etcfiles/protocols2.cfg file is installed in
you server/etc/ directory. The old protocols.cfg is no longer used.

Make sure the server/bin/fping4 and fping6 programs are suid-root; if
not then "chown 0 server/bin/fping*; chmod u+s server/bin/fping*" as root.

Start Xymon and see what happens :-o

The new network module runs as a daemon, so don't be surprised that it
runs all the time. xymonnet2 does the normal network checks (tcp tests),
and the "netmodule ping" job handles all of the ping checks.

"ping" status is now reported in a "ping" column. This will change
before the final release.

If a host has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address, then Xymon will test the
IPv4 address only. You cannot change that right now.

SSL certificate status is not yet there. We have the data, but don't
generate the status update yet.

LDAP- and RPC-checks are not implemented yet.

Some of the more exotic details are also missing, e.g. pinging hosts
with multiple IP's.

What I am most interested in right now is - does it work at all ? Does
it crash ? You'll probably need to add "--debug" options to the new
commands, but be warned: There's a lot of debug output.

Now a bit of personal news: Those of you who have followed Xymon
development over the years may know that I have been working for CSC
while writing Xymon. Xymon has been used a lot at CSC here in
Copenhagen, so doing special Xymon customisation was also part of my
work there.

But times are changing, and I have decided to leave CSC. On Thursday I
start in a new job at KMD - a local danish IT company providing IT
services for a lot of danish public-sector companies, but also moving in
to the general outsourcing business.

My new employer knows about the work I do on Xymon, and although I
probably won't be able to work in Xymon as part of my employment, it
will continue to grow as the Open Source project it has always been.