[Xymon] execute a command from server (browser) on a client

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:07:18 CEST 2013

It could be done, but it's a bit more complicated than that.  Your browser
is talking to the Xymon server, not the server where the downed service
should be running.  Here's a couple of ways it could be done, using your
tomcat example:

1) you would need a cgi script on the Xymon server capable of logging in to
the remote tomcat server with enough privilege to be able to restart tomcat
or to dump memory, then send back to your browser any restart messages or
the memory dump as a file download;
or
2) a cgi script on the xymon server that could add a variable to the
client-local.cfg for the tomcat server.  Next time the remote checks in
with xymon it would pick up that flag and store it in $HOME/etc/local.cfg.
 A cron job could examine that file occasionally and if the flag shows up,
restart or dump memory as appropriate.  This cycle could take 10 - 15
minutes to complete.

I don't know if anyone has such automation currently running.

Ralph Mitchell