[Xymon] Graphing problem

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jul 3 04:28:24 CEST 2013

On 2 July 2013 00:32, David Welker <dewelker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I have a unique problem, but I'm hoping someone can help me out as I
> have scoured the archives, tried all kinds of combinations, and still
> haven't found the perfect solution.

This is doable.  Not sure if you're going anything wrong, but one thing
comes to mind.  If you changed your DS type to/from GAUGE, then you need to
rebuild or erase your RRD file.

Regardless, it might help to see a setup that works.  For example, I graph
SMART media errors.  My script (see http://xymonton.org/monitors:xymon-smart)
presents the data values for a sample in a data "trends" message, and also
sends a status "smart" message.  The script that creates these messages is
run from a file in tasks.d/.  The data messages include various metrics
including uncorrected errors, corrected errors, drive temperature and so on.

In graphs.cfg, I append entries for [smart], [smart_uncorrected],
[smart_corrected] and [smart_temp].  Here's an example:

[smart]
        # total read/write errors
        TITLE S.M.A.R.T. Total Media Errors
        YAXIS errors per second
        FNPATTERN ^smart.(.*).rrd
        DEF:rc at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:err_r_c:AVERAGE
        DEF:ru at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:err_r_u:AVERAGE
        DEF:wc at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:err_w_c:AVERAGE
        DEF:wu at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:err_w_u:AVERAGE
        CDEF:re at RRDIDX@=rc at RRDIDX@,ru at RRDIDX@,+
        CDEF:we at RRDIDX@=wc at RRDIDX@,wu at RRDIDX@,+
        COMMENT:@RRDPARAM@\:\n
        LINE1:re at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:Read Errors         :
        GPRINT:re at RRDIDX@:LAST:\: %5.1lf %s (cur)
        GPRINT:re at RRDIDX@:MAX: %5.1lf %s (max)
        GPRINT:re at RRDIDX@:MIN: %5.1lf %s (min)
        GPRINT:re at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: %5.1lf %s (avg)\n
        LINE1:we at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:Write Errors        :
        GPRINT:we at RRDIDX@:LAST:\: %5.1lf %s (cur)
        GPRINT:we at RRDIDX@:MAX: %5.1lf %s (max)
        GPRINT:we at RRDIDX@:MIN: %5.1lf %s (min)
        GPRINT:we at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: %5.1lf %s (avg)\n

In xymonserver.cfg, I append "smart" to the TEST2RRD variable, thusly:

TEST2RRD="cpu-la,disk,...xymonproxy,xymond,smart"

This should result in the RRD file being created and populated.  It should
also result in the graph being shown on the status view of the "smart"
test, using the definition added into graphs.cfg.

Also in xymonserver.cfg, I append "trends" to the GRAPHS variable, like so:

GRAPHS="la,disk,...,xymond,ntp,smart"

This should result in a single "smart" graph being added to the trends page.

In hosts.cfg I include smart in a TRENDS parameter like so:

10.1.2.3 servername # conn dns this that
TRENDS:smart:smart|smart_uncorrected|smart_corrected|smart_temp

This is not strictly necessary for what you want, but I want all possible
graphs to show on the trends page for this host. This essentially says that
on the trends page, where the "smart" graph would have gone, instead put
the four graphs smart, smart_uncorrected, smart_corrected and smart_temp.