[Xymon] False positives for local connections when outside connections fail

Kii NODA kii.noda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:57:15 CET 2013

Hi there,

We are encountering a problem where, when Xymon fails to send statuses
outside our isolated setup, we get false positives.

Here's our current situation, happening right now:

* we have HOBBITSERVERS set as "xymon.cb.internal, IP/32".
* when there's a connectivity problem towards IP/32, we get false positives
and we also get "Whoops ! bb failed to send message - timeout" for bbtest

Checking the machine that does the reporting and the IPs inside the
notifications, we could see that, basically, Xymon tries to match
ports/procs to those defined for a different machine and thus fails. For
example, it matches the reported data from prod-web-1 (listening on TCP:80,
for example) with the actual checks defined for prod-admin-1 (listening on
port TCP:53) and therefore, not finding a match, we get an alert.

Has anyone seen such a thing before? Do you have a suggestion for us to
solve this?

We have had this happen to us with various installs, all based on Ubuntu
12.0.4 LTS, Hobbitd 4.2.3 running on top of AWS EC2.

Thanks,
--
Kii