[Xymon] SSL Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

Another Xymon User xymon at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon Jan 28 19:35:02 CET 2013

See, the baffling thing is that it's only with xymon verification,
not with openssl command line. xymon's somehow using a ca-bundle that
does not have your self-signing cert in it. But since xymon doesn't have
a configuration construct for pointing to a ca-bundle, it's taking a
default. I would expect that to be the same default that "openssl verify
<certfile>" takes. Oh, well. Hope you can figure it out.

On 2013-01-28
8:48, Jason Chambers wrote:

> Yep. Openssl-devel-1:1.0.1c-7.fc18. Plus
all of our GoDaddy certs are validating fine. Just our Windows CA signed
cert on this web server isn't.

> Jason Chambers
> Network
Administrator | Geosoft
> geosoft.com [6] | blog [7] | twitter [8] |
linkedIn [9] | facebook [10] | T +1 416.369.0111 #344 | M +1
416.508.1410

> Trending topic on Earth Explorer: VOXI Earth Modelling
[11]

[mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] ON BEHALF OF Another Xymon User
> SENT:
January-25-13 4:09 PM
> TO: xymon at xymon.com
> SUBJECT: Re: [Xymon] SSL
Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

> With "openssl verify
<certfile>"? Then I'm stumped. If I do that on F17 without my
self-signing CA cert appended to the file pointed to by "certificate=",
I get an error 20. Append the cert, I get an ok. That should emulate
what xymon is doing, I think.

> You _did_ have openssl-devel
installed when you built xymon, right?

Chambers wrote:

>> Yes, I've downloaded the webapp2013 server cert
in pem format and used openssl to verify that it's ok.

#344 | M +1 416.508.1410

>> Trending topic on Earth Explorer: VOXI
Earth Modelling [11]

>> FROM: xymon-bounces at xymon.com
[mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] ON BEHALF OF Another Xymon User

SENT: January-25-13 1:10 PM
>> TO: xymon at xymon.com
>> SUBJECT: Re:
[Xymon] SSL Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

>> So things are
good with an explicit path to the CA bundle.

>> Are the "[ ca ]"
and " [ CA_default ]" sections in /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf correct? Is
the geosoft.crt file included in the file pointed to by "certificate ="
in CA_default? (On my F17 systems that is cacert.pem, which is a slink
to /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt)

Chambers wrote:

>>> Not a problem with that.
>>>
>>> * Connected
to webapp2013.geosoft.com (192.168.0.9) port 443 (#0)

>>> *
Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb

>>> * CAfile:
./geosoft.crt

>>> CApath: none
>>>
>>> * SSL connection using
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

>>> * Server certificate:
>>>
>>> *
subject: CN=webapp2013.geosoft.com,OU=IT,O=Geosoft
Inc.,L=Toronto,ST=Ontario,C=CA

>>> * start date: Nov 12 17:31:09
2012 GMT

>>> * expire date: Nov 12 17:31:09 2014 GMT
>>>
>>> *
common name: webapp2013.geosoft.com

>>> * issuer: CN=Geosoft
Inc.,DC=geosoft,DC=com

[mailto:ralphmitchell at gmail.com]
>>> SENT: January-25-13 11:11 AM

TO: Jason Chambers
>>> CC: Henrik Størner; xymon at xymon.com
>>> SUBJECT:
Re: [Xymon] SSL Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

>>> Try handing
curl the CA cert for your internal CA:

path_to_your_CA_cert.pem https://server.domain.com [12]

>>> Ralph
Mitchell

<Jason.Chambers at geosoft.com> wrote:

> [...]
bug in OpenSSL in this build of Fedora 18 (which I have updated.) I ran
the command you gave me and I'm getting this:

CONNECTED(00000003)
certificate available
sent
bytes
Renegotiation IS NOT supported
NONE

certificate there. Yet when I curl the location:

Peer's Certificate issuer is not recognized.
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html [1]

certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default

bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
the --cacert option.
by a CA represented in
probably failed due to a
expired, or the name might
URL).
certificate, use

this be everyone elses conclusion as well?

Chambers
blog | twitter | linkedIn | facebook | T +1 416.369.0111 #344 [3] | M +1
416.508.1410 [4]

Modelling

Henrik Størner
xymon at xymon.com
Fedora 18

just upgraded to Fedora 18, and now servers that have SSL signed by

> our internal CA is failing. The http test simply shows "SSL
error"
issues. Is there a
getting these error

logfile, but try running "openssl s_client -connect
IPADDRESS:PORT".
is basically the same as what Xymon does.

standard openssl.cnf is used by OpenSSL when Xymon uses the SSL
libraries. Perhaps some defaults changed in relation to how openssl
performs automatic certificate validation ? Would surprise me,
though.

Xymon at xymon.com

Links:
------