[Xymon] Automatic Start on Boot

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jan 16 03:09:53 CET 2013

On 16 January 2013 07:59, Mike Burger <mburger at bubbanfriends.org> wrote:

> Assuming a nongraphical boot:
>
> ln -s /path/to/xymon.sh /etc/rc3.d/S98xymon
> ln -s /path/to/xymon.sh /etc/rc6.d/K98xymon
>
> If you're booting with a GUI, substitute rc5.d for rc3.d.

Actually, you should do it for both runlevels 3 and 5, in case the default
runlevel needs to change in the future.  Also, as I understand it, a "K"
symlink should not be required for runlevel 6, and instead should be in the
runlevel being exited (ie 3 or 5).

Ubuntu is Debian-based, so the Debian init scripts provided in the Xymon
source should be suitable (xymon.init and xymon-client.init in the debian
directory).

On the server:

cp xymon-4.3.10/debian/xymon.init /etc/init.d
chkconfig --add xymon

On the client:

cp xymon-4.3.10/debian/xymon-client.init /etc/init.d
chkconfig --add xymon

All of this should be taken care of if you install using a .deb package,
which is available from the Sourceforge site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xymon/files/Xymon/4.3.10/Ubuntu1204/

Cheers
Jeremy