[Xymon] Error compiling Xymon Client in client mode

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Jan 4 05:21:26 CET 2013

I get the same result when trying to do the same thing (with v4.3.4 and
v4.3.10).  I think that there's a bug in the way the client is built when
using client-side configuration, and nobody uses it anymore so it hasn't
been tested for a very long time.

It seems that if you first configure for client-side config, it will not
create the lib/xymonclient.a file required.  However, if you first
configure for server-side config and make, then re-configure for
client-side config and make again, this problem goes away.

There are two more problems, it seems:  The file xymond/Makefile requires
an adjustment for using libxymonclient instead of xymonclient, and some
libraries need to be forced to link against it also.  So the following
adjusted entry in xymond/Makefile worked for me:

../client/xymond_client: $(CLIENTOBJS) ../lib/libxymonclient.a
        $(CC) -o $@ $(RPATHOPT) $(CLIENTOBJS) *../lib/loadhosts.o
../lib/matching.o ../lib/timing.o ../lib/locator.o
../lib/libxymonclientcomm.a ../lib/libxymonclient.a -lpcre* $(PCRELIBS)
$(NETLIBS) $(LIBRTDEF)

I note that some of the libraries should have been pulled in with
$(PCRELIBS) and $(LIBRTDEF) but these don't seem to have been defined when
in client-config mode.