[Xymon] Stack Graphs with SPLITNCV data

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:46:05 CET 2013

Hi Henrik

Happy New Year!

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly.
I understand what you say below, and the problem isn't with SPLITNCV, but
rather with configuring the graphs.

As you say below, we can do foo1 as AREA, and all the rest of foo2...fooX
as STACK.
But how do do this if X is an unknown number?
The config example below will work for an unknown number of rrd data files
if we are going to make each data set a LINE2
        FNPATTERN ^disk(.*).rrd
        TITLE Disk Utilization
        YAXIS % Full
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE
        LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
But how do we create a stack graph with unknown number of data sets?

Regards
Vernon

On 2 January 2013 20:11, <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:43:44 +0800, Vernon Everett
> <everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Has anybody managed to create a stack graph with SPLITNCV data?
> > How do we configure it?
> >
> > Once upon a time, I authored this
> http://www.xymonton.org/monitors:memstat
> > But it had graphing problems if you didn't have ZFS running. (One field
> > less than the RRD graph config required.)
> > In the ToDo section, I promised to have a look at using SPLITNCV.
> > So I am looking into it now, but struggling.
> > To do a STACK graph, the first entry has to be AREA, and the rest need
> > be STACK.
> > Configuring the RRD graph with SPLITNCV, applies the same graph type to
> > each data set.
> > How do we get the first to be AREA, and the rest STACK?
>
> I don't understand with "SPLITNCV applies the same graph type to each
> dataset".
>
> With SPLITNCV you have multiple rrd files, each of these hold one data
> item and you define in the SPLITNCV setting what RRD datatype they are -
> essentialy GAUGE or COUNTER. E.g. SPLITNCV_foo="ds1:COUNTER,ds2:GAUGE"
>
> In the graph definition, you just refer to the specific RRD-file you want
> to pull data from. This has no relation to the data being a GAUGE or a
> COUNTER. So the graphs.cfg definition is straight-forward:
>
> [foo]
>    DEF:foo1=foo,ds1.rrd:lambda:AVERAGE
>    DEF:foo2=foo,ds2.rrd:lambda:AVERAGE
>    AREA:foo1#FF0000:foo 1 data
>    STACK:foo2#0000FF:foo 2 data
>

> Regards,
> Henrik

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton