[Xymon] filesystem check with multiple disk monitors

Bakkies Gatvol bakgat8 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 16:58:42 CET 2013

Howdy

I am a user from bigbrother days.  In bigbrother I cloned/customized the filesystem check script to allow me to have more than one disk column. I usually had columns for disk_sys (OS) , disk_dba (dbase) and disk_app (application). This allowed me to wake the other people (app/dba) when it was their disk problem, a problem I was not going to touch anyway. In BB the script ran on the remote/client machine. Now here in xymon I see disk is part of the data pulled for each client and parsed on the server. I can (and have) written a test to run on the client and send the status back up to xymon - the old BB way. I was wondering if there was enough interest in above functionality for me to make the effort to include it in the server side parse code.

I have already looked into this and got a not-pretty-code version working with this expended config in analysis

the FST (three chars) is appended to disk so below config will give extra columns
      disk_dba disk_ard
in addition to just disk.   You can make as many extras as you want.

Just disk got everything not put anywhere else ... being paranoid about losing newly added filesystems, there must be a 'everything else' column.

HOST=dbasserverone
        DISK %^/ip|du|vd|hq|sp|st|hd|iq|dc|id|ht|dt|hp|dd|dq... FST=dba 100 101
        DISK %^/[a-z][a-z][0-9][0-9][0-9] FST=dba 100 101
        DISK %^/dp... FST=dba 93 95
        DISK %^/redo..|arc.. FST=ard 90 95

In the screenshot the entries with disk_sys is actually the clients running the old BB way.  "Everything else" is in disk_sys. For these  I could hide the disk column, which is the column/monitor that the server is generating. I just did not do the hide step.

This is a test setup, we are evaluating moving to Xymon. I found no commercial product that can do multiple filesystem checks the way I want, but I could make Xymon do it. Yeah open source!

-- Bakkies