[Xymon] Xymon Digest, Vol 25, Issue 11

Steff Watkins s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 12:29:01 CET 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:11:14 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Mike Burger" <mburger at bubbanfriends.org>
> To: "Jonathan Bishop" <jtkbishop at gmail.com>
> Cc: xymon at xymon.com
> Subject: Re: [Xymon] histlog file permissions
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I recently noticed I'm not able to view the history log file via the
> > web interface. I can see that when it was working the histlog files
> > had permissions of 644. For some reason they are now written with 640
> > permissions and xymon is unable to display them. If I manually chmod
> > to 644 xymon can read them.
>>
>> I should also mention that xymon:xymon has ownership of these files.

To me this sounds more like a user-ID problem than a file permissions problem.

If the file is 644, then owner, group and world/other can read it.
If file is 640, then owner and group but NOT world/other can read it.
When the histlog file is 640 then your copy of xymon can't read the file.

This seems to indicate that the user identity that xymon is running under is NOT the same user identity as wrote the history logfile (not even in the same group!).

Check the user id for the xymond process (ps -ef | grep xymond) .

I'm guessing what's happened is something like the xymon server was shutdown possibly for a reconfig or an upgrade and then it was restarted under the wrong user identity.

Good luck with sorting it out,
Steff

-----
Steff Watkins                   Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London,SW75BD
Systems programmer               Email: s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Systems Team                     Phone: +44 (0)20 7942 6000 opt 2
========
"Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans." - HHGTTG