[Xymon] HA setup using xymonproxy

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Feb 13 06:43:36 CET 2013

Andy

I do none of the options presented on that page.  My method is to simply
have two completely independent Xymon servers, and configure all clients
report to both servers.  Operators know that if they cannot web to one
Xymon server, they should try the other.  There smart enough to do this!
 In theory I could do some kind of HA on the webserver, but the effort
isn't worth the pay-off IMHO.

The Xymon configurations are checked into a subversion repository (over
ssh, with key authentiation) so that they can be easily replicated between
the two Xymon servers.  An operator that changes a file (eg hosts.cfg)
commits it to the repository and then does "ssh other-server svn update
`pwd`" (actually it's scripted and does some sanity checks also, but that's
the gist of it).

The two Xymon servers list IPs of themselves and the other Xymon server for
XYMSERVERS in their *client* configuration (xymonclient.cfg), so that each
Xymon server is fully monitored by the other one.  But each Xymon server's
*server* configuration (xymonserver.cfg) lists only itself, to avoid
messages loops and duplicate messages.