[Xymon] rrddefinitons.cfg - how to modify the default step in RRA

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Fri Feb 8 15:54:06 CET 2013

 From the rrddef.cfg comments:
# Each section key is the column- or data-name reported from your
# client test. Typically this is "cpu", "memory", "tcp", or some
# custom test you have created.

In your original script:
[ buda ext]# cat httpd_threads.sh
#!/bin/bash
THREADS_HTTP=`ps -ef | grep -c [h]ttpd`
*LINE="data $MACHINE.trends*
[httpd_threads.rrd]
DS:threads:GAUGE:5:U:U $THREADS_HTTP"
$BB $BBDISP "$LINE"

it appears that your  data name is "trends".  This is what xymon is
trying to match in rrddef.cvf.  The key you should be using in rrddef.cfg.

[trends]
     -s 5
     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:576
     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:360:576
     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1440:576
     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:17280:576

With that said, "trends" is already a column heading... I'm not sure
that using it for your rrd key won't cause other problems in xymon.
Maybe change it to "httpd_threads"?

If that doesn't work, try putting the -s in the default section "[]",
and see if that works.  You shouldn't leave it there as it will set all
future graphs to a 5 second step, but it works there, then you know your
problem is with your data name and key.

Michael Beatty
Sherwin-Williams
IT Analyst/Developer