[Xymon] using the status message to update colors and/or rrd values

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Aug 14 09:38:49 CEST 2013

Den 14.08.2013 09:08, Jeremy Laidman skrev:

> What you could do is
send a status message always with "green" but when you want to change to
a non-green colour, send a "modify" message to change to a different
colour. The man page for xymon has details on the "modify" message.

On 14 August 2013 14:38, Bryan Levin <blevin at seven.com [1]> wrote:

yes, in fact, I can get the current color status and then resend it
back; but its wasteful and I'd prefer not to have to make 2 trips when
only 1 is needed.

>> what I am hoping for is a 'no-op' color. a
color you could use which does not change colors but only serves to
preserve the parameter ordering and does the rrd data-throw, only.

think Bryan's is trying to do two different things.

1) Update the
color of a status, but keep the actual status message intact. For this
you can use the 'modify' command, that Jeremy mentioned.

2) Update the
text of a status message, but keep the color unchanged. There is
currently no way of doing that in Xymon - you'll have to send a new
message with the same color. You can use the 'query' command to get the
current color, but it means two round-trips to the Xymon server.

don't quite see the point of 2). If it is to update an RRD data file,
won't you run into the problem that RRD updates need to arrive regularly
? If they arrive with an interval longer than the RRD heartbeat, then
the data is considered invalid and you get holes in the graphs. And if
you don't update Xymon status, then it will go purple after the
valid-time expires. You could of course set both of these parameters to
a very long time, but that means your graph-data will be very coarse.

My suggestion would be to either go with the query+status method, or
split the status-update from the RRD-update. For the RRD-updates you
would then send a data-message to "$MACHINE.trends" with the data for
the RRD update. See the bottom of
http://xymon.com/xymon/help/howtograph.html for more details.

Links:
------