[Xymon] EXT :Re: What is the maximum hostname length?

Mills, David (IS) David.Mills at ngc.com
Mon Aug 12 16:25:41 CEST 2013

Thx, Jeremy... That helps!

david

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
David Mills
Systems Administrator
Northrop Grumman
(512) 873-6665
________________________________
From: Jeremy Laidman [jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 7:43 PM
To: Mills, David (IS)
Cc: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: EXT :Re: [Xymon] What is the maximum hostname length?

The xymond process allocates 4k for a hostname when it reads them in from hosts.cfg.

However, I suspect there will be other limits outside of xymond.  For example, Xymon clients will be limited by their OS constraint on nodename, POSIX has a limit of 64 bytes, and the DNS also has things to say about both "A" record label limits (255) and hostname limits (63).

The shell under which parts of Xymon run, will be OS-dependent, and might have limits on variable name lengths and filename lengths (which might limit the length of RRD file dirnames, for instance) and command-line arguments.

Also, other Xymon processes might have internal limits on the hostname length they can use, and I haven't looked any further than the xymond source code.