[Xymon] What is the maximum hostname length?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Aug 12 02:43:57 CEST 2013

The xymond process allocates 4k for a hostname when it reads them in from
hosts.cfg.

However, I suspect there will be other limits outside of xymond.  For
example, Xymon clients will be limited by their OS constraint on nodename,
POSIX has a limit of 64 bytes, and the DNS also has things to say about
both "A" record label limits (255) and hostname limits (63).

The shell under which parts of Xymon run, will be OS-dependent, and might
have limits on variable name lengths and filename lengths (which might
limit the length of RRD file dirnames, for instance) and command-line
arguments.

Also, other Xymon processes might have internal limits on the hostname
length they can use, and I haven't looked any further than the xymond
source code.