[Xymon] Test showing white instead of purple

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Sep 17 14:30:10 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 07:59 -0400, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> I think white typically show up for tests that are dependent on some
> other test.  For example, the network tests do that.  I've recently
> had some ping failures, so ssh came up white, but the client tests
> (cpu, memory,disk, ports, procs) all came through OK.

Okay. But as far as I remember the 'procs' and 'files' tests default to
white. When the server is first installed there are no defined processes
or files to monitor so the tests go white.

For these tests the data comes from the client via the large status text
file sent to the server. Since we got an 'oversize' message, not all the
data was available. So I assume none of the 'procs' stuff was there, so
the test went purple because it hadn't seen anything for a while. The
'files' test, I assume, had some data, but not enough to give a result
of the test. So the test went white.
(Note, I *assume* that is how it works :-))

Anyway, my point is that I would like to know if a test goes white
regardless of the reason. It is an indication that 'something is not
right', yet because we tend to keep an eye on the 'non-green' page we
were unaware, in this case, that the 'files' test had gone white.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001