[Xymon] Devmon - scalability ?

Nico nicolas at lienard.name
Sun Sep 16 14:13:36 CEST 2012

hello

we got a xymon server polling ~ 8100 network devices (mainly cisco).
devmon is used as well but the polling period is high: > 600 sec. (10 mn ).
some purple are coming/leaving randomly :(

the server is not overloaded : load average: 0.70, 0.71, 0.74
no I/O disk load (SSD disk). server is idling at 94% (16cpu).
bandwidth reachs 60Mb in outboud.

i m wondering if any people here have some tuning recommendations to have a better polling time (less than 300 sec  idealy).
for the moment, NUMFORKS is 60 (default 10) .

dm stats:
Polled devices:   8183
Polled tests:     16535
Avg tests/node:   n/a
# clear msgs:     0

SNMP test time:   321
Test logic time:  164
BB msg xfer time: 176
This poll period: 661

maybe running a second devmon instance on the same server could be better.

any experience is welcome.

cheers
Nico