[Xymon] UNIX Apocalypse and disable/enable bug?

Gore, David W (David) david.gore at verizon.com
Mon Sep 10 19:44:37 CEST 2012

Hi,

We just had a UPS replaced and had to take down our primary Xymon server for more than 8 hours.  It was a good chance to test disaster recovery.  Our secondary server did really well, although I did find one problem.

We use Ralph Mitchell's bluesync.sh shell script to keep our two Xymon servers in sync for disable/enabled hosts.  It appeared that not all tests were properly disabled on the secondary server.  The reason appears to be because the disable time goes past UNIX end time, of January 19th, 2038 03:14:07 GMT.  The result is, if you query Xymon for the disable time and disable message, nothing is returned, time defaults to 0, null message.  Would it be possible to update the code to not exceed UNIX end of time?  What typically happens is someone wants to disable something for a while, and yes I know this is a bad habit, and enters 9999 or 99999 days or something similar.   Perhaps it would be best, if disable time is past UNIX end of time, make UNIX end time the disable time?

I should probably add that a side effect is the host/services do not display a disable reason nor do they display on the enable/disable page disabled.  Although you will see their status blue on whatever page you have them displayed.

~David