[Xymon] Sending client data without client installed

Raymond Lee raylee88 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 21:22:06 CET 2012

Greetings,

I have a Cisco ACS appliance that runs a CentOS-based OS.  I cannot install
the Xymon client on it, but I can ssh to it from our Xymon server and run
"show tech-support" to get the output of a long list of commands that
include df -k, ps -aux, netstat -an, etc., and save the output to a file.

The output has section headers, so it's easy to parse out each of the
command outputs that I'm interested in with a Perl script.  I was thinking
to have the same Perl script look at each of the command outputs and apply
some logic to them to determine what color their status should be and then
do a ' bb localhost "status hostname.disk COLOR <additional text>" '.  Same
idea for hostname.procs, hostname.ports, etc.

But this would essentially be like rewriting the Xymon client.  Since I
already have the outputs of df -k, ps -aux, netstat -an, etc., can I just
send them to the Xymon server and have it magically know what to do with
them to populate the disk, procs, and ports columns?

I've already seen the tip at
http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/xymon-tips.html#noinstall , but that
doesn't apply to my scenario.  I also looked into using devmon, but the
MIBs that Cisco ACS supports don't give me the data I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Ray