[Xymon] Problem with the smtps test (unspecified SSL error)

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Oct 2 04:57:56 CEST 2012

On 28 September 2012 06:29, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu> wrote:

> Xymon 4.2.3 here still. For some reason, smtps doesn't test properly.
>

>From my tests, that server is not listening on port 587, or is being
blocked by a firewall/router.  But perhaps access is restricted.

Assuming port 587 is open to you, you can test the SSL negotiation using
openssl:

$ openssl s_client -connect mail.umdnj.edu:587 </dev/null

This should show you certificate details.  If it doesn't then there was no
(valid) SSL handshake.

At the very least, you should be able to connect with telnet:

$ telnet mail.umdnj.edu 587 </dev/null

This should show "Connected" and then immediately "Connection closed".  If
not, then you have a more elementary problem.  If you get "Connection
refused" then the service is probably not running.  If you get a timeout,
then there is probably a firewall/router blocking your packets.

Cheers
Jeremy