[Xymon] Looking for Xymon clients for Solaris

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 20:27:52 CEST 2012

It's possible to run the client with no compilation at all...  You need:

1) a script to replace the xymon binary.  I use curl, for encrypted
delivery over https, but you could probably use netcat if that comes with
Solaris.  To use http/https you'll need to go to your xymon server and copy
$XYMONHOME/server/bin/xymoncgimsg.cgi over to your xymon cgi-bin directory.

2) a script to replace the logfetch binary.  The client script uses it to
pick up epoch, local & UTC timestamps.  I'm not using logfetch for anything
else, such as picking up logs.

3) a script to replace the clientupdate binary. I'm not doing client
updates through xymon, so mine just echoes a blank line.

4) edit the xymonclient.sh script to insert a couple of lines at the top
that set XYMONHOME and then source $XYMONHOME//etc/xymonclient.cfg

At that point you ought to be able to run xymonclient.sh and see the
standard reports show up on your server.  Then add a cron entry to fire up
the script at regular intervals.

I'm not necessarily recommending this lash-up for a large-scale production
environment.  I just had to get *something* running on a set of AIX systems
where there are limitations on what I can install.  A script-only solution
was more acceptable, and encrypted delivery is a requirement...

Ralph Mitchell