[Xymon] Multiple setups proxied to a master Xymon server

Kii NODA kii.noda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:29:36 CET 2012

Hi there,

I am in the situation that requires me to monitor multiple setups all on
Amazon EC2. These setups are all fairly standard, having machines like
prod-admin-1, prod-mysql-1, prod-web-1, prod-web-2, etc.

What I am trying to do is this:

- have prod-admin-1 on each of these setups monitored from a separate
location (let's call it "Master")
- have prod-admin-1 on each of these setups act as a Xymon proxy for all
hosts behind it
- have all machines in each setup configured to report to prod-admin-1 from
that setup
- have only the Master do all the graphing/monitoring/alerting/etc
necessary while gathering the data from all setups

The problem is that once I do this, as the hostnames from different setups
overlap, Xymon becomes confused. Yes, hostnames, at this point, are not
complete hostnames like prod-admin-1.$domain1, prod-admin-1.$domain2, etc.

Do you have any suggestion on how to solve this other than reconfiguring
every host to report as $host.$domain?

Thanks!
--
Kii