[Xymon] Measuring rndc stats

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Nov 20 04:56:50 CET 2012

On 20 November 2012 09:15, Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:

> Does anyone do this with Xymon?

I do this in two ways.  One is to use an SNMP extension to present the
numbers via SNMP, and have devmon pick up the metrics.  This is a bit of
setup on the client side, especially if you don't have Net-SNMP installed
and configured.  It also needs a special netmon template.

The other way is to run a script from the Xymon server that automatically
runs "rndc stats", rotates the old stats log file (so it doesn't grow too
large), pulls out latest section and (if not too old) injects into Xymon.
 This simply requires  key-based ssh authentication to an agent account on
the client, with permission to read /etc/rndc.key and to read the stats
file.

This method (my preferred) requires are fairly fancy script on the server,
but once setup, it's relatively painless to extend to dozens of DNS
servers.  It's flexible enough to support ssh, rsh, telnet, ssh-via-ssh and
anything that gets you a login shell.  It could probably be made to go via
a CONNECT web proxy, but I haven't tried that.  I have it doing multi-hop
gymnastics through firewalls and jump boxes to get where it needs to go.
 Happy to share if it might be helpful to someone.

Neither of these are typical, I would imagine.  Most people would implement
as a client-side script on the DNS server that reports its results back to
the Xymon server via data or status message.  But on many of the
DNS servers I monitor, I am unable to install a Xymon client.

Cheers
Jeremy