[Xymon] vmware or similar virtual image

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Tue May 15 17:24:51 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Elizabeth Schwartz <
betsy.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I would, however, take exception to virtualizing your monitoring
> server...
> > call me crazy or old-school, but it always seemed wrong to me.
>
> IMHO this is depends on the robustness of your virtualization solution.
>
> We're moving onto a large scale VMWare cluster with EMC and HP/3Par
> storage backends. I'm not at all worried about the xymon server
> (currently running on a G4 which is one of the smallest and oldest
> boxes in the shop)

We avoid putting the xymon server on a VM just for the reason that if/when
VMWare/ESX goes belly up we want to be able to watch as thing come back. We
are going to upgrade to 4.3.7 on a VM, but will probably be moving it to a
physical server before it actually goes into production.

Steve Holmes
Purdue University

--
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. -Juan Ramon Jimenez,
poet, Nobel Prize in literature (1881-1958)