[Xymon] Status lifetime - where?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu May 10 17:34:05 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 14:53 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using Xymon 4.3.7, if I use the 'xymon' command and specify a status
> lifetime, as mentioned in the man page, is there anywhere on the server
> that I can see what the lifetime is? That is, the date/time when the
> status should expire. I'm assuming it must be held somewhere in order
> for Xymon to know when to expire it :-)

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, it does seem that the lifetime data is held in memory, but xymond
does maintain a checkpoint file (the man page has a couple of options
about this).
Yes, sending a USR1 signal to xymond forces an update of the checkpoint
file.
So by simply grepping for 'host.service' in the checkpoint file shows me
the actual 'status' command received.

It turns out that in some instances my program was sending a status with
a negative lifetime! In that respect Xymon was doing the right thing in
that the status had already expired, so it showed purple as if no status
had been received.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001