[Xymon] Antw.: Antw.: Extra column containing an access protocol (putty, telnet, mstsc)

Jamison Maxwell jamison at newasterisk.com
Tue Mar 27 13:17:12 CEST 2012

Impressive....

Jamison Maxwell
Jamison at newasterisk.com

-----Original Message-----
From: xymon-bounces at xymon.com [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Jeremy Laidman
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56 PM
To: Nico
Cc: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] Antw.: Antw.: Extra column containing an access protocol (putty, telnet, mstsc)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:
> I thought about using the COMMENT: or DESCR: fields, but I wasn't able
> to reliably get the details.  Perhaps I'll try this again when I gets
> some spare time.

<time passes>

I've completed a version that works with the COMMENT: and DESCR:
strings instead of looking at the column names.  Find it here:
http://pastebin.com/zr1MWSPe.  Instructions are in the file, but briefly just create DESCR or COMMENT settings in hosts.cfg like so:

10.1.1.10 someserver.example.com # testip ssh dns http DESCR:"random server (connect: https, http, ssh)"

This will create hotlinks for https://servername, http://servername and ssh://servername.  Hovering over the servername will show hover text of "random server", as the "(connect:...)" string will be stripped out.

Unfortunately, the DESCR is not displayed consistently in all pages.
For instance, in the "all non-green" page, the DESCR string is not shown as hover text, but in parens after the hostname.  In theory, this hack could clean up such cases, but doesn't.  I'll leave that as an exercise for someone else.

Another idea I had for this was to allow specifying something like
"(link: http://someplace/?q=%s)".  This would be used to hotlink the hostname.  This could be a link to your corporate asset management system, or a page in your documentation wiki.  Again, this would want to handle the "all non-green" anomaly.

Finally, a hint for anyone else trying this: dollar signs are verboten.  I couldn't find a way to escape a dollar sign, but it seems that xymongen can't handle them.  This is why I use
jQuery(...).somefunc() a lot, rather than the more common $.somefunc().  I'm guessing it's a bug in xymongen, and I'm simply pushing the limits on what was intended.