[Xymon] Tricky one for log file monitoring

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 13:45:14 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 11:54 +0000, kconnell at ryerson.ca wrote:
> I do something similar to what your asking to check one of our DHCP
> servers to see about "low dhcp pools" and update Xymon.
>
> I wanted to:
> Run swatch on the dhcp server and watch for messages in the log that
> indicate "low dhcp pool", then execute a script that updates xymon.
> This would be ideal and real time, but...

Within swatch could you not use the 'exec' command to invoke 'xymon' to
update the Xymon server? Something like (completely untested!):

   watchfor = /low dhcp pools/
      exec = xymon <xymonserver IP> 'status <localhostname>.dhcp red
`date` DHCP pools getting low!'

(The 'exec' is all on one line.)

The man page for 'xymon' has more details.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001