[Xymon] Tricky one for log file monitoring

kconnell at ryerson.ca kconnell at ryerson.ca
Thu Mar 22 12:54:20 CET 2012

I do something similar to what your asking to check one of our DHCP servers to see about "low dhcp pools" and update Xymon.

I wanted to:
Run swatch on the dhcp server and watch for messages in the log that indicate "low dhcp pool", then execute a script that updates xymon. This would be ideal and real time, but...

Because of issues, I did:
Periodically ssh to the dhcp server (from my xymon server), grab logs from the last "x" minutes, grep out dhcp pool info, then update xymon based on what I found.

Ken Connell
Intermediate Network Engineer
Computer & Communication Services
Ryerson University