[Xymon] upgrade to new server

Tom Kauffman tommyk66 at newsguy.com
Tue Jun 26 22:38:23 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 03:08:04 PM Poppy, Ben wrote:
> I did go to 64-bit. How do I go about unloading/reloading?

Oh boy! It's been over six years since I did it, and I retired three years
ago, so I'm going from a very rusty memory. (Anyone else want to step in
here??)

As I remember it, I set up an ssh key on the new server for the xymon id on
the old server and ran the process from the old server.

Essentially you run rrddump on each and every rrd and redirect the output to a
file. Ship the file to the new server and run rrdrestore with the new file
input from stdin. You will need to manually recreate the directory structure
on the new server to match the old.

I did the entire process with a script run on the old server for each
subdirectory under each host, IIRC - it's been  bit too long and the memory is
fuzzy (I don't even have rrdtool installed on this system - I'm watching this
list out of a sense of nostalgia :-) ).

Anyway - man rrddump, man rrdrestore, and man rrdtool should get you started,
then it's just a bit of trial & error to build and test the scripts.

Tom