[Xymon] [Bbwin-help] Monitor Disk IO and paging on windows

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Wed Jun 20 14:00:35 CEST 2012

On 6/14/2012 10:27 AM, Neil Simmonds wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Before I start looking at potentially re-inventing the wheel, does
> anyone have a BBWin external script for monitoring Disk IO and paging
> on a Windows server that they would be willing to share?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but for what it's worth...

After fighting with Xymon metric collection/new graphs some years ago,
last year I discovered Graphite
(http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2011/02/15/measure-anything-measure-everything/).
I was trying to do something relatively simple (track ping response time
to my storage system) but it was somewhat annoying to get the data into
Xymon and IIRC it was very annoying to deal with data for which I did
not want the default RRD retention parameters to apply.

I now use Xymon for monitoring and alerting, Graphite for metrics,
trending and analysis.  I rsync the RRD data from Xymon to Graphite
(which can use it directly) to take advantage of the Xymon agent
collection.  I have written Xymon scripts to allow monitoring and
alerting based on metric levels (https://github.com/dmsasser/graphiteutils).

So, effectively my *very* external script for monitoring Disk IO is...

  * host sFlow collector on Windows to get stats
  * sFlow2Graphite.pl script (open source)
  * Graphite data collection and display
  * Xymon consuming graphite data and triggering alerts on levels.

Incidentally, if you're monitoring virtual machines in Vmware you can
get the data directly from ESX, which might be easier.

I can share more information about configuration/setup if desired.

--
Dewey