[Xymon] white gaps in graphs across a number of services

Vincent Baines vincent.baines at excelian.com
Mon Jun 18 19:32:35 CEST 2012

Hi Everyone,

Have been looking on and off at a problem I've seen for a while now, without massive success. I see intermittant 'white gaps' occuring in xymon results across a number of services, and sometimes at corresponding times, but sometimes not. Most frequently I see this gap for CPU load, and this isn't just specific to one server.

Attached is an example of useres and processes from one client server. There is a corresponding gap for the approx 3AM gap in CPU utilization graphs, memory graphs, actually, all of them I think, and a large 300second spike in clock offset at that time. But, nothing corresponding to the other gaps.

If I look at the xymon server itself, it looks like there was something up at that time too, as xymond incoming messages drops to zero. But, for the rest of the day,  it holds at a steady number. But, theres are gaps all over the place in xymonnet runtime, CPU utilization, users and procs, etc.

I seem to recall we did try to tweak some rrd cache value as it cropped up in another post, which I think improved things slightly. But, we are having problems with the platforms that we're trying to monitor, with apparent long NFS pings between boxes.

The xymon server itself is running on a VM box. Has anyone had issues running on VM?

As best I can figure, either we have a xymon config issue, the xymon box itself isn't stable and it dropping data, or we have genuine network / disk write issues..

Any other thoughts?

Cheers!

The information contained in this email and any attached files is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). The email may be legally privileged or prohibited from disclosure and unauthorised use. If you are not the named addressee you may not use, copy, or disclose this information to any other person. If you received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

Any opinion or views contained in this email message are those of the sender, and do not represent those of the Company in any way and reliance should not be placed upon its contents. Unless otherwise stated, this email message is not intended to be contractually binding. Where an Agreement exists between our respective companies and there is conflict between the contents of this email message and the Agreement then the terms of that Agreement shall prevail.

Excelian Limited
44 Featherstone Street
London
EC1Y 8RN
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7336 9595
www.Excelian.com
This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.messagelabs.com

Excelian subscribes to cleaner and greener methods of working. Help take responsibility for the environment. Please don't print this email unless you absolutely have to.