[Xymon] Hand editing config files

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 18:50:41 CEST 2012

I want to agree with elements of both Isaac & Paul's statements.

In my environment, you cannot use anything but a command line to enter the environment.  (high security, no GUI, only SSH port on nonstandard port).  If I can no longer enter my environment and SSH to my Xymon host, I can no longer use it.  We actually don't even use the generated web pages at all.  I scrape files & push data around in the back end over listeners I've written and into disparate systems with dissimilar interfaces.

Now what?

If a database is in the offering, a way to both manage and dump that database would be of paramount importance, or we would have to write our own system.  Sure, we've already pretty much done that (all in perl) to wrap all the cool stuff Xymon does with its clients and the daemon, and have highly customized it to an extremely secure environment, so we are the minority and I understand that.

Just note that it does have an effect on the install base to remove funcitonality (i.e., adding in favor of  a new way).  This definitely kills things under various circumstances, and can eliminate users rather rapidly.

What of the support files and documents, etc.?  I have a customized Linux installation that runs just shy of 400M.  The post-provisioning varies from 150-300M on top of that for a very small, very tight installation.  Adding more packages to support a "new and improved" Xymon might be more of an undertaking.  I'd have to re-roll my provisioning image, write puppet manifests/classes/facts to support the new packages. I'd have to do a deployment of all the new packages across over 10,000 hosts, and then deploy, without downtime, without operational interference.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that large heterogenous environments would be seriously impacted.

Thank you SO much Henrik for the amazing tool you've produced.  It's an outstanding effort, and I, for one, am eternally grateful at all the hard work and years you've put into it.

Jerald Sheets
Apple, Inc.