[Xymon] Hand editing config files

Cami camis at mweb.co.za
Thu Jun 14 08:31:01 CEST 2012

On 2012/06/13 11:04 PM, Henrik Størner wrote:
> And it has made me consider the idea of using a database for storing
> at least some of the configuration - first of all the hosts.cfg
> configuration of hosts, IP-adresses and network tests. This would make
> some things simpler, others a bit more complex - "xymongrep", for
> instance - but would also make it a lot easier to provide a GUI for
> managing what hosts are being monitored.
>
> This is not going to happen anytime soon, but since the subject was up
> in the air - what do you think about it ? Is it a major problem that
> Xymon has all configuration in text files ?

For us, that would be a welcomed addition. I do not want to give
physical access to the monitoring team and having a GUI of sorts would
allow them to "manage" the system in a much cleaner way.

It could also open up the possibility of having access control built
into Xymon instead of relying on Apache for restricting certain users /
groups to certain pages in the future.

Regards,
Cami