[Xymon] clientlaunch.cfg: CRONDATE problem / error?

Becker Christian christian.becker at rhein-zeitung.net
Wed Jun 13 11:05:17 CEST 2012

Hello out there,

we are using Xymon 4.3.7 as xymon server. There is a particular client running Ubuntu 9.04 as operating system and Xymon 4.3.7 as client, reporting successfully to the Xymon server.
I have been in the need to write a script that is running on a fixed time of a day. Therefore I configured the script in the clientlaunch.cfg on the client as follows:

[xymoncheckscript-custom]
           ENVFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/etc/xymonclient.cfg
           CMD $XYMONCLIENTHOME/ext/xymoncheckscript-custom.sh
           LOGFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/logs/ xymoncheckscript-custom.log
           CRONDATE 0 11 * * *

When restarting the xymon services on the client I get the following entry in clientlaunch.log:

2012-06-13 10:58:53 Can't parse cron date: xymoncheckscript-custom->0 11 * * *

The man page of tasks.cfg has the section:

 [monthlyreport]

          ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg

          CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/ext/monthlyreport.sh

          CRONDATE 30 4 1 * *
:
:

The CRONDATE keyword is used for tasks that must run at regular intervals or at a specific time. The time specification is identical to the one used by cron in crontab<http://xymon.mrv.de/xymon/help/manpages/man5/crontab.5.html>(5) entries, i.e. a sequence of numbers for minute, hour, day-of-month, month and day-of-week. Three-letter abbreviations in english can be used for the month and day-of-week fields. An asterisk is a wildcard. So in the example above, this job would run once a month, at 4:30 AM on the 1st day of the month.

For my understanding everything I've set up should work, but it doesn't.

Where's my fault? I would really like to fire this check-script from clientlaunch.cfg instead of an crontab entry.

Regards
Christian

CHRISTIAN BECKER
System Engineer
CSC

August-Horch-Strasse 28, 56070 Koblenz, Germany
Global Outsourcing Services Central Region  |  www.csc.com

CSC * This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose * CSC Deutschland Services GmbH * Registered Office: Abraham-Lincoln-Park 1, 65189 Wiesbaden, Germany * Board of Directors: Gerhard Fercho (Chairman),Thomas Nebe, Peter Schmidt * Registered in Germany: HRB 7574, Wiesbaden