[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

Benjamin P. August baugust at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 13 06:49:09 CEST 2012

We came to Hobbit/Xymon from a NimBUS install my predecessors had set up (yuck!), and I came from a small part of a certain large now-defunct hardware and software vendor that used BB internally (until they made us use our own horrid monitoring product). When the upgrade bill came from Nimsoft in '07, I told them to blow it out their ear and I told my boss that we could do a better job for free. And so we did.

It runs on all of the clients we've had so far, it monitors our Oracle databases without too much effort, I wrote an interface to OpenManage to pick up hardware/storage status in both Windows and Linux, and when we needed temperature monitoring, it wasn't a stretch to pull ambient temperature sensor data from the Dells into Hobbit.

I think the phrase "everything you want, nothing you don't" applies here.