[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:03:49 CEST 2012

I took a quick look at the Zenoss community page, and fairly quickly
noticed one interesting thing - apparently it's agentless.   No agent to
install on target systems, because it picks up information using SNMP.
 That's not necessarily bad, but some companies don't like it.  Or you can
use "zencommand" to run nagios binaries on your target.  That info is dated
May 2008, so maybe it grew up since?

Right now I'm running a somewhat modified xymon client out of cron on AIX,
RHEL and SuSE systems, delivering reports over https on port 443 (which is
open anyway) instead of opening port 1984.  It doesn't use any compiled
binaries other than the standard system commands, which means that I don't
have to recompile for system updates.  Bourne shell all the way...  :-)

My situation may be unique, though - we have to comply with both PCI *and*
DIACAP requirements.

Ralph Mitchell