[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:01:32 CEST 2012

Hi Elizabeth

I use Xymon specifically because it doesn't have the features you listed.
I am not confined by what the "discovery tool" thinks it has found, nor
what it believes the config should be.
Ask any power user on this list, and you will find we have done some crazy
shit to "fool" xymon into monitoring things it was never really designed to
monitor, using data from multiple places in ways that shouldn't make sense.
That said, if I could get Xymon to do it, then it was obviously designed to
do it. :-)
By being able to manipulate the configs in any way I choose, I have more
flexibility, and monitoring is not limited to what the product dev team
thinks I need.
I am limited only by my own creativity, imagination and scripting ability.

To illustrate this concept, get your fan-boy to have a look at what's on
Xymonton.
If Zenoss can do all of that, he might have an argument.

There's also the advantage of price.

And as for support, post a request for support on this list, and you will
receive a few private emails from people offering their services.
There are a number of people out there offering Xymon support, and I am
prepared to wager it's better than you can expect from Zenoss.
And while we are on the subject of support, does Zenoss give you direct
access to the developers? Hi Henrik. :-)

My suggestion, offer to trial Xymon for three months - it's not going to
cost you anything. Most managers are happy with free trials. (But get in
quick, before Zenoss offers a "free trial")
After 1 or 2 months, you will be aware of any gaps in your monitoring
scope, and I am sure most of us on this list will try and help fill those
gaps.
After 3 months, ask them what Zenoss can do for a price that you are not
already doing for free?
Then ask them why they want to waste budget on reinventing the wheel?

Regards
      Vernon

On 13 June 2012 08:45, Jones, Elizabeth <Ejones at egov.com> wrote:

> Would any of you mind telling me why you use xymon? I have a co-worker who
> is pushing hard for zenoss, and his arguments include “gui discovery tool”,
> “no hand editing of config files”, “it is an enterprise level monitoring
> system and you can buy support and bring in a consultant to set it up for
> you”, and the ever popular “everyone is using zenoss now”. ****
>
> ** **

"While it is futile to try to eliminate risk, and questionable to try to
minimize it, it is essential that the risks taken be the right risks. "
- Peter F. Drucker