[Xymon] More analysis.cfg vs alerts.cfg fun

Don Kuhlman Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com
Fri Jun 8 18:11:56 CEST 2012

Hi folks. I'm still trying to clean up the analysis.cfg and alerts.cfg files to get  emails going the way we expect them to when things happen.
In the example below, I have a group in analysis.cfg called SRMDBASE. In alerts.cfg I set up a macro called $MAC_SRMDBASE.  I want any PROC or SVC alerts for the host called FileMaker01 to send an email to the srmdbase email address.  So in alerts I have the section
 GROUP=SRMDBASE
$MAC_SRMDBASE

We stopped the PROC fmserver.exe on filemaker01 host and the SRMINFRA team got an email but the srmdbase team didn't.

Can someone point me to some insight ?

Thanks!

Don K

PS – here are configuration samples from analysis.cfg and alerts.cfg

I reference groups called SRMDBASE, SRMINFRA, and SRMAPPS in the analysis.cfg file as below:

# FileMaker Dev Server
HOST=FileMaker01 GROUP=SRMDBASE
        PROC    fmadminserver.exe 1 1
        PROC    fmserver.exe 1 1
        PROC    fmshelper.exe 1 1
        PROC    fmxdbc_listener.exe 1 1
        PROC    inetinfo.exe 1 1
        SVC     GxCVD(Instance001) status=started startup=automatic
        SVC     GxEvMgrC(Instance001) status=started startup=automatic
        SVC     FileMaker_Server status=started startup=automatic

In the alerts.cfg file I setup macros named MAC_SRMDBASE, MAC_SRMINFRA, and MAC_SRMAPPS

These macro defintions are below:
# MACRO DEFINITIONS GO HERE
# USE $MAC_ for the prefix on any macro defintion so it is easily identified as a macro

$MAC_SRMAPPS=SCRIPT /home/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl srmapps at company.com FORMAT=TEXT

$MAC_SRMDBASE=SCRIPT /home/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl srmdbase at company.com FORMAT=TEXT

$MAC_SRMINFRA=SCRIPT /home/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl srminfra at company.com FORMAT=TEXT

Lower in the alerts.cfg file I refer to the Macros created by using a GROUP declaration and then the MACRO as below:
GROUP=SRMDBASE
$MAC_SRMDBASE

# SERVICE ALERTS GO HERE
SERVICE=cpu,disk,memory,procs TIME=W:0800:1600 RECOVERED
$MAC_SRMINFRA

# PAGE ALERTS GO HERE
PAGE=Applications/app1/app1prod TIME=W:0800:1600 RECOVERED
$MAC_SRMAPPS

HERE IS THE BASE ANALYSIS.CFG FILE:

#RULE is host time etc
host=* TIME:W:0800:1600

# This Setting says to ignore any disk that starts with /Volumes
DISK %\/Volumes* IGNORE
# This setting is to monitor cron only on Unix or Redhat systems - not windows or mac
PROC cron GROUP=SRMINFRA EXCLASS=win32,darwin
# This setting is for Unix / MAC server systems
LOAD 8.0 12.0 GROUP=SRMINFRA EXCLASS=win32

###########
# 6/5/12 Adding in specific host analysis criteria
# For Service monitoring - name of host and svc is CASE-sensitve
# Can get values out of xymon by clicking on the server's info proc or svcs link

# SERVER for various AFP Shares
HOST=AFPServer01
PROC adclient
        PROC adbindd
        PROC cnid_dbd
        PROC nmbd
        PROC smbd
        PROC winbindd

# FileMaker Dev Server
HOST=FileMaker01 GROUP=SRMDBASE
        PROC    fmadminserver.exe 1 1
        PROC    fmserver.exe 1 1
        PROC    fmshelper.exe 1 1
        PROC    fmxdbc_listener.exe 1 1
        PROC    inetinfo.exe 1 1
        SVC     GxCVD(Instance001) status=started startup=automatic
        SVC     GxEvMgrC(Instance001) status=started startup=automatic
        SVC     FileMaker_Server status=started startup=automatic

HOST=SQL01 GROUP=SRMDBASE
        MEMSWAP 75 90
        SVC ReportServer                        status=started startup=automatic
        SVC MSSQLSERVER                         status=started startup=automatic
#        SVC SQLBrowser                          status=started startup=automatic
        SVC SQLSERVERAGENT                      status=started startup=automatic
        SVC SQLWriter                           status=started startup=automatic
        PORT STATE=LISTENING LOCAL=%[.:](1433)$ MIN=1 TEXT=SQL_Port_1433
        PROC ReportingServicesService.exe 1 1
        PROC sqlservr.exe 1 1 TEXT=SQLServer

# MYSQL Servers
HOST=mysql1.company.com,mysql2.company.com,mysql3.company.com GROUP=SRMDBASE
        PORT STATE=LISTEN LOCAL=%[.:](3306)$ TEXT=MySQL Ports
        PROC mysqld 1 TEXT=MySQL Process
        DISK * 98 100

# This is for windows servers
CLASS=win32 GROUP=SRMINFRA
        MEMSWAP 75 90
        DISK G 101 101
        LOAD 92 97 # Load thresholds are in %
        PROC BBWin.exe 1 1
        SVC BBWin status=started startup=automatic
        PORT STATE=LISTENING MIN=0 TRACK=Listen TEXT=Listen

DEFAULT
        # These are the defaults if not over-ridden above.
        UP 1h
        LOAD    8.0 12.0 GROUP=SRMINFRA
        DISK    * 95 97 GROUP=SRMINFRA
        MEMPHYS 100 101