[Xymon] Dir monitoring

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Fri Jun 1 15:00:40 CEST 2012

2 Problems with monitoring DIR

I am trying to monitor the log directory of MQ.  I have two types of
primary and backup systems.  On the primary system I want to monitor
/backup/local/mq.  On the backup I want to monitor /var/mqm/log/*/active

The hosts names are formatted "LAB01" for primary systems and "LAB01_2"
for backup.

In my client_local.cfg file I have:

[linux]
  log:/var/log/messages:10240
  ignore MARK
  dir:/backup/local/mq
  dir:/var/mqm/log/*/active

in my analysis.cfg file I have:
HOST=%LAB\d\d$
  DIR /backup/local/mq yellow SIZE<250000 TRACK=Backup

HOST=%_2$
  DIR /var/mqm/log/*/active yellow SIZE<14000 TRACK=Backup

Problem #1 - the DIR check on /var/mqm/log/*/active fails. "Could not
determine size of directory".  However, if I click the link it says:

[dir:/var/mqm/log/*/active]
49240	/var/mqm/log/QA_POSLAB05_QM/active

Problem #2 - Even though I'm only specifying the DIR check of /backup/local/mq on LAB01 systems, it appears to be running on LAB01_2 systems.  Though this may not be the case as the history chart is not showing any data.

--
Michael Beatty