[Xymon] IP address in bb-host file

Mike Cavanagh mike at terrapintesting.com
Fri Jan 20 00:30:34 CET 2012

Please comment on pros/cons to using 0.0.0.0 for "all" hosts vs. the
actual IP address in the bb-hosts file?

---

Background info:

I see I can use 0.0.0.0 for an IP and Xymon will lookup the IP address.

As an IP changes, which happens infrequently, I am hoping to only need
to change DNS, not also remember to change the bb-hosts file (others
will be doing various network work and could forget.)  90% of hosts are
PCs or printers.  Servers and network equipment are the remaining 10%.

I have done very little with Xymon since installed.  Running basic
"conn" tests to all hosts.  My servers (2 unix, 2 windows) are
monitoring mail, dns, ftp, etc.  I do not have advanced stats running
besides what comes "out of the box".  No bbwin client running.  Yes, I
would like to get to those, but have other fish to fry at the moment.  I
am currently trying to get pre-reqs required to compile the current
version of Xymon.

The question comes up because I changed the IP of a router and changed
it in bb-hosts, but not DNS yet.  I thought something was incorrect
until I realized it was using DNS to lookup the IP.  So, if it uses DNS
for network tests why not use it for all testing?  Granted, if DNS
fails, then all testing fails.  But, if DNS fails, I have a major issue
and not worried about the monitoring at that point.

Thanks,
Mike