[Xymon] Yellow->red escalation, bug or feature?

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:07:06 CET 2012

I think this is a bug, but maybe it's a feature I haven't figured out yet:

Many of our alerts are set to email on yellow and page with escalation
on red: alert1 after 10 minutes (repeat every 10), alert2 after 20
minutes , alert3 after 40 minutes,  alert4 after an hour. When an
alert is yellow, it sometimes sits around for a while. When an alert
goes red, the alert1 person acks or fixes the alert and the alert4
person should never be woken up.

However, when an alert has been yellow for over an hour and *then*
turns red, we are seeing that the entire escalation group is paged, as
though the alert has been red for over an hour.

I think this is a bug  - when the alert first goes red it should be
treated as a NEW alert and not go waking up everyone.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?
Our tier4 person is getting rather annoyed at being woken up for
things that the tier1 person can handle.

thanks Betsy