[Xymon] Dual port network cards

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 5 22:32:54 CET 2012

On 05-01-2012 16:45, Neil Simmonds wrote:
> A large number of our systems have dual port network cards and I’m
> wondering if there is an easy way to monitor if a particular interface
> is down.
>
> Each adapter has the following information in the client data,
>
> General Statistics:
> -------------------
> No mbuf Errors: 0
> Adapter Reset Count: 1
> Adapter Data Rate: 2000
> Driver Flags:Up  Broadcast Running
[snip]
> I’m wondering if I could check the value highlighted and alert if it is
> not “up” without having to write an external script to do it?

Not out of the box, you'll have to do some scripting yourself.

Since it's a large number of systems and you already have the data
available in the client data, it seems an obvious candidate for a
server-side module.

Take a look at the "xymond_rootlogin.pl script in the Xymon sources
(you'll find it in the xymond directory). Adapting this to fit your
needs should be a rather simple job for someone who is familiar with
Perl programming (sad to say, I'm not).