[Xymon] bbhostgrep --no-down and dialup hosts

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:38:10 CET 2012

Hi list,

Not sure if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the
archives and there is nothing in the MAN page...

We're running 4.2.3 so I'll be speaking in old hobbit filenames.

We have a number of development servers that we want to monitor when they
are online, but it is not essential that they are always online, so they
are flagged with the "dialup" flag in bb-hosts.

We have some external scripts which use bbhostgrep to poll bb-hosts to
determine which hosts to run the tests on. This is fine when they are
online, but when a dialup host goes offline it's status goes "clear".
"bbhostgrep --no-down" seems to include "clear" conn hosts in the list of
hosts to test so the test still get attempted against a host which is now
no longer online.

Without having to code in extra ping checks into our scripts am I missing
something? or is this a bug. I would have expected "bbhostgrep --no-down"
to return only non-RED conn hosts.

Thanks

Steve