[Xymon] Broken custom graphs in trends

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Feb 15 04:27:12 CET 2012

Hi all

I'm getting some broken "extra" graphs in my trends page and not sure
if I've done something wrong or if it's a bug.  I'm running v4.3.3 of
Xymon on Linux.

I've successfully implemented a collector for BIND DNS statistics that
injects the data into Xymon using a "TRENDS" message, as detailed in
the last section of http://xymon.com/xymon/help/howtograph.html.  I
have the RRD files being created with valid data, one with multiple
DSes, others with a single DS named "lambda".  My graphs.cfg file has
valid descriptions for things like [bindstats-mismatch] (showing
the existing name "bind".

As per the documentation, I appended ",bindstats" to the end of the
"GRAPHS and TEST2RRD" values in xymonserver.cfg.  I also added
"TRENDS:*,bindstats:bindstats|bindstats-breakdown|bindstats-mismatch"
in hosts.cfg, so that I get all 3 graphs in the trends page.  All
three are defined in graphs.cfg, with two using "FNPATTERN" and the
other explicitly naming the files.

My trends page shows the three graphs I've defined.  But it also shows
three more broken graphs after each functioning one.  The IMG URI for
all four appears identical except for the "first=" value.  The first
graph has in its URL "first=1", the second shows "first=4", the third
shows "first=7" and the last shows "first=10".  All of them have
"count=3" in the URI.

It seems like this is designed to show a multi-graph with many data
sets, split into several groups of 3.  But as there's only one data
set, there's nothing to show for "first=4" (and subsequent graphs) and
so rrgraph bails.

Can anyone suggest something I've missed or a way to get this to only
show one of each graph on the trends page?

Cheers
Jeremy