[Xymon] Xymon client only reports once

Mark mark at carnildo.com
Tue Feb 14 05:13:50 CET 2012

I've installed Xymon on my home network as testing for a possible installation
at work.  It's working fine on three out of the four systems, but on the
fourth, the client only reports its status to the server once, immediately
after being started.

The problem computer is a Pentium MMX with 48MB RAM, running Gentoo Linux.

It looks as if the client is getting hung in the process of sending the second
report: "ps aux" shows a sleeping "xymonlaunch" process, and the XYMONTMP
directory contains a "xymon_vmstat" file with a timestamp five minutes after
the successful update.

I could probably work around this with cron job to restart the client every
five minutes, but I'd rather fix it properly.  Any suggestions on what might
be going wrong, or other things I could look at?

Thanks,
Mark Wagner