[Xymon] Xymon client and clientupdate Issue

Alexander Bech alex at bakarasse.de
Fri Feb 10 09:58:23 CET 2012

Hello Henrik,

thank you for the new client /local/ directory for custom scripts.
It is a lot more comfortable to manage many xymon-clients from central now.

Clientupdate pulls our scripts to this directory. They pull hosts.cfg,
protocols.cfg and other configfiles and
generate configfiles with varios variables (XYMONNETWORK,CONFIGCLASS,
etc) and write it
to xymoncient.d directory.

I just had to change some small details to make it work:

- client/clientupdate.c
     symbolic link $XYMONHOME/etc get overwritten and recreated as a
directory. Occured on ubuntu 11.04 and newer.
     -> Change the tar option from "xf -" to "xfh -" helps me.

- debian/init-common.sh
    make directories /etc/xymon and /usr/lib/xymon writabe for xymon user.

- add line "directory /etc/xymon/xymonclient.d" to client/xymonclient.cfg.

- add line "directory /etc/xymon/clientlaunch.d" to client/clientlaunch.cfg.

- add the xymonnet binary to $XYMONHOME/bin directory.
   We use this to distribute/move network tests to clients just by setting
    XYMONNETWORK: tags in hosts.cfg on xymon-server.

- and a few others...

Attatchement: diff to xymon 4.3.7 revision 6803.
Is it possible to add these changes into the main branch?

Greetings

Alex