[Xymon] Unable to start xymon

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Dec 20 13:45:32 CET 2012

> I have been adding hosts to a custom file bb-zenor for monitoring.
>
> I noticed that when checking my ghost list it was displaying the
> following error
>
> Failed to retrieve ghostlist from server
>
> I then did some research and read that restarting xymon would help but
> when i try to restart it i get the following

> 2012-12-19 11:17:13 Setting up network listener on 0.0.0.0:1984
> 2012-12-19 11:17:13 Cannot bind to listen socket (Address already in use)
> 2012-12-19 11:17:13 Task xymond terminated, status 1
>
> Also for the machines monitored if i try to click onto one of the links
> i get the following error.
>
> Cannot load host configuration
>
> I checked and we are not using bb-proxy or any proxy's at all.
>
> Any ideas on why this would be happening

Run the following as root/via sudo to display which application/process is
holding the port open:

lsof -n -P -i | grep 1984

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever just
stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1