[Xymon] Green status

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Mon Aug 13 22:15:43 CEST 2012

>    We are using xymon-4.2.2 on rhel 5.2 server and more than 200
> clients (HPC Cluster nodes).
>
> Our requirement is :
>
> -> If the node is powered down by scheduler for saving the power, it
> is required that xymon should show its state as green and same for
> other tests of same node.
>
> Nodes powered down by scheduler are identified by pbsnodes command
> which will show state as power.
>
> -> If the node is going down by some other reason other that powering
> down by scheduler, it should show red like normal clients.

Assuming your scheduler can have shell script hooks attached to events,
I'd add something to send a "disable" command before it brings a node
down, and then re-enable as it comes back up. If the nodes are being
powered down without state being saved (eg, not suspending/resuming
themselves), then just disable "until OK", otherwise I'd use some
arbitrary future value.

Relevant tests will be blue (not green, as requested), but that will be
handled as a non-event for SLA purposes.

Separately, it might be a good idea to have a separate server-side test
that sends node state about each node to xymon independent of the node
itself. That test is a fine place to put logic as well.

HTH,

-jc