[Xymon] xymond_filestore - appending to files?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Apr 21 01:20:59 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 22:51 +0200, Henrik Størner wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> > I would like to use the 'xymond_filestore' command to append to
> > files when receiving information from a 'data' channel.
>
> [snip description of how it works]
>

> Going back to your original request: Having the data from "data"
> messages appended to a file. Like the other Xymon channels, information
> sent via the "data" channel is easily available to any server-side
> module you can think of. Just run a task out of tasks.cfg that picks up
> the data-channel messages:
>
>     xymond_channel --channel=data mymodule.pl
>
> and then write your "mymodule.pl" program to do what you like.

Given that what I want to do is store the data, and xymond_filestore
stores data, I used that as a starting point rather than re-inventing
the wheel :-)

>  It doesn't have to be Perl; feel free to use whatever scripting tool you
> fancy. I just used Perl as an example, because there is a little Perl
> program included with Xymon that shows how to do that - look at the
> xymond/xymond_rootlogin.pl program.

Yes, I noticed the 'xymond_rootlogin.pl' program. Thanks, it was
helpful.

>  The header-line of a "data" message is different from the "client"
> header that rootlogin.pl handles, but not very much so you should be
> able to work it out. You can see the messages by running
>
>     xymoncmd xymond_channel --channel=data cat

Interesting. I used the '--debug' options of xymond_channel and
xymond_filestore to dump out to the log files what they were doing. It
did show what was being sent/received, so again it was helpful in seeing
what was going on.

> And feel free to use xymond_filestore as a starting point for writing
> your own data-handling program :-)

I suspect that will be the way I go, probably coupled with the 'usermsg'
channel so as to avoid problems with other programs using the other
channels.

Many thanks for the explanations.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001