[Xymon] Xymon 'data' directory

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 20:29:24 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 12:18 -0700, cleaver at terabithia.org wrote:

> > On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 16:15 +0100, John Horne wrote:

> > I saw mention of 'usermsg' in the xymon(1) man page. Not sure if that
> > could be used... more checking required I think.
> >

> This does indeed mirror the old BB way of doing things. Check out the
> [storedata] stanza within tasks.cfg and enable it to start storing "data"
> messages. "Data" messages don't generate a status column named after their
> test, and are stored directly on the disk (if storedata is enabled). They
> also aren't queryable remotely, but anything can subscribe to the "data"
> channel if you want to process the "data" datastream live.
>
> Asynchronously looping over files in the data/data/ directory and doing
> something with them works too.

Hello,

Thanks for this. Do you use channels yourself to do anything like this?

Also I am wondering what the difference is between the 'data' channel
and the 'usermsg' channel? If the usermsg channel is 'for whatever the
user wants to use it for', then I would prefer using that.

I may be able to get away without actually storing anything if the
process on the server-side is fast enough. I'm not sure how the
mechanism works, or what happens if a message arrives whilst the process
is already processing one. I assume there is some sort of 'wait'
mechanism (having said that I think semaphores were mentioned
somewhere?).

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001